Thursday, February 19, 2015

How our audience views the Morning Show

At Evendale we use a YouTube link that is posted on a Google Site to view the show. Each morning when teachers arrive, they turn on their laptops and projectors. The show is projected onto the SMARTBoard in each classroom. Teachers go to the same Google Site each day and they have been encouraged to put a shortcut on their desktop to make it even easier.


To find the YouTube link, I start on the "Events" page in Google+. This is easiest for me, because as soon as I create the Hangout I grab the link and put it on the Google Site.


In the details box of the specific event that I am wanting to link to is a "Links" menu. Copy and paste the YouTube link. 

After I have copied the link, I go to the Google Site. I chose to use a Google Site because it is simple to use and plays well with the rest of the Google ecosystem.



I select the edit button in the top right, it's a pencil icon.



Then go to the insert menu that appears on the left. In the insert menu is an option for YouTube.With my cursor in the location where I want my broadcast to go, I select the YouTube option from the Insert menu.



A box appears where I paste the YouTube link and name the broadcast. I usually leave everything else in the default setting.

After clicking save, a box is added to the site where the broadcast will play from; however, I am not completely saved until I click the blue save button in the top right hand corner to save the changes to my entire site. 

From there, it is ready to go for teachers. They just click play and select the full screen mode. The show starts automatically, without the need to refresh the page. There is a 30 second to one minute delay from the live version in Google+ to the YouTube version. There are a few other differences between the Google+ version and YouTube version that I'll go into greater depth on in a later post. If you'd like to see the step by step tutorial for inserting the YouTube link for an HOA into a Google Site, click here. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment